Sunday, November 4, 2012

More on the car seat debacle

What are the main reasons people give for turning their kids around at around 1 years old?

1. They want to see!
2. Their legs will break if I get into an accident.
3. It look so uncomfortable!
4. He/She doesn't like his/her car seat. If I turn him/her around, maybe he/she will like it better.

I admit, I got all excited when my oldest two offspring turned one because it meant they could turn around like "big boys". I now realize this isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade in safety.

So many of us think this is some kind of huge milestone, but it's only increasing the likelihood of injury (and death) in the event of an accident. Ever heard of internal decapitation? Not pretty.

There is a 5 year span of babyless-ness between Emma and Michael. In that 5 years, I learned a LOT about car seats. I am embarrassed by my lack of knowledge in that area until recently. I really am. Emma was in a BOOSTER SEAT when she was 3. THREE! I don't even know why that seemed like a good idea to me. I'm happy to say that all 3 of my older children are back in 5 point harnesses.

Where they should be.

Yes, my oldest two are 9 and nearly 8. Yes, they are in harnesses. Graco Nautiluses, actually. They have not grown out of the height and weight requirements just yet, and I am considering buying seats with higher requirements when our tax return comes just so they will remain harnessed longer.

Now, what are the comments that I usually hear about this?

1. But those are baby seats!
2. You're going to embarrass them.
3. They're too big for that kind of thing.

It is MUCH safer for children to be in 5 point harnesses. Hell, it's safer for ANYONE to be in a 5 point harness. Why do you think race car drivers have them?

My children are not embarrassed. We have talked many, many times about how their seats are safer and that if we get into an accident, they will help keep them uninjured. They understand this and they are perfectly fine using them. Their friends only made comments once, and my children explained why they have the seats they have. Friends looked confused...I know at least one of them doesn't even use a booster seat (or a seat belt) in his dad's truck. The lack of education on this is scary.

I hear excuses all the time. All the time. But let's look at it this way, shall we? You could be the best, most safest driver in the world...you could have the cleanest driving record ever. But that doesn't mean that some random person who isn't paying attention can't plow into the back of your car. Or, what if you were in traffic. Dead stop traffic on the highway and you happen to be the last car in "line" and it happens to be right after a bend in the road. Let's say a truck driver, doing a good 65mph is coming around that bend and is distracted by something for a moment and doesn't see the stopped cars. You're a sitting duck. THEN is when you want your kids in the safest seats they can be in. Ejection is one of the lead causes of child death in motor vehicle accidents. Booster seats are notorious for this. Especially in smaller children.

So, before you decided to turn little Johnny or Molly on their first birthday...why don't you take a moment to learn about what exactly you're doing? It can't hurt.



http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ - A good example of why booster seats aren't they best option for kids who can still be harnessed.

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/kate-parentingcom/rear-facing-car-seat-safety - One boy's journey with internal decapitation.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS - Is your child in the right seat?




No comments:

Post a Comment